SkyNews is Canada’s leading source of authoritative and engaging print and digital content about the universe and our place in it. As the media arm of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC), SkyNews is uniquely qualified to serve the country’s growing community of active observers by: inspiring curiosity about the night sky; providing the latest news and authoritative insights on celestial events; offering expert how-to observing advice; delivering trusted guidance on observing gear; and promoting unique experience-based opportunities through community events, star parties and travel. Through its six annual magazines and digital offerings, SkyNews is the ultimate Canadian source on the fascinating past, present and future of astronomy.
The SkyNews community welcomes diverse enthusiasts, including novices, families and seasoned amateur astronomers — anyone who is passionate about celestial events and the beauty and mystery of astronomical discovery. No other Canadian astronomy brand embodies the knowledge and prestige of SkyNews, nor welcomes the breadth of followers through its rich mix of channels and outreach initiatives. This community includes RASC members, web users, social followers, magazine subscribers and the 100,000-plus enthusiasts who frequent local programs at RASC’s 29 cross-country centres.
SkyNews is looking for a Salesperson, available to work immediately. Reporting to the publisher of SkyNews, this is a part-time, contract position. While RASC offices are based in Toronto, the successful candidate will be an experienced, self-directed and independent contractor who can be successful working off-site. This is a results-driven position, paid through commission plus a small stipend.
- Minimum three years of experience in sales
- Ability to meet targets
- Strong attention to detail
- Enthusiasm (we’re working in one of the coolest industries in the world — and out of it!)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Proven planning and organizational skills in a deadline-driven environment
- Sales experience in publishing and/or in travel industry considered an asset
- Work with managing editor and publisher to build sales strategy for SkyNews brand
- Sell ads into the three remaining editions of SkyNews magazine in 2020
- Sell ads for SkyNews.ca and the weekly SkyNews newsletter
- Build sponsorship relationships with companies that further sales strategies and promotion goals
- Provide direction to Art Director to build advertisements in the three remaining issues
- Plan a long-range sales calendar (features and departments) in consultation with the managing editor and publisher
- Exhibit professionalism
- Occasionally travel for meetings
Interested candidates should submit a resume with a cover letter outlining your unique qualifications for this position to email@example.com. Please include names of two references who can speak to your experience and team-building skills.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume by June 26. We will be conducting rolling interviews as resumes come in. While we appreciate all applications, due to the volume of submissions, only those who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Work from home/remote